Oculoplastic surgeries fix medical issues or cosmetic issues around the eyes. So, Ophthalmologists who train especially in plastic or reconstructive surgery perform these surgeries. Thus, these procedures will be done on the eyelids, eye sockets, eyebrows, cheeks, tear ducts and face or forehead. Moreover, these are Outpatient procedures which take an hour to two or a maximum of three hours.
Millions of people around the world are born with defects in their eyes, sustain eye injuries in accidents or wish to rectify their cosmetic appearance. Thus, Oculoplastic surgery Karimnagar helps them achieve this. For example, as per the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, around 1.3 million eyelid surgeries were performed globally in the year 2021.
What does an Oculoplastic Surgeon do?
An Oculoplastic Surgeon treats the following kinds of issues –
- Congenital disabilities of the eyes or orbit
- Tear duct issues
- Cosmetic issues such as fallen eyebrows, upper lid skin or bulging lower lids
- Eye problems caused by Thyroid issues
- Eyelids that turn outward or inward
- Droopy upper eyelids
- Weakness around the eyes or eyelids
- Eye injuries
- Skin cancers or other growths in or around the eye
You may sometimes become confused between Oculoplastic Surgery and Plastic Surgery. Oculoplastic Surgery deals with the medical and cosmetic issues of the eyes and areas around the eyes. And Plastic Surgery deals with the medical and cosmetic issues of the rest of the human body, such as hands, legs, chest and other parts. Whereas Oculoplastic surgery is a sub-branch of Ophthalmology, Plastic surgery is a sub-branch of General surgery.
Common Oculoplastic Surgeries
The most commonly performed Oculoplastic surgeries are –
- Blepharoplasty: It is in high demand among both men and women to improve their vision and give themselves a youthful appearance. The surgeon removes the excess skin or fat around the eyes to uplift the eyelids.
- Orbital Surgery: To fix thyroid and eye disorders, cysts and injuries.
- Pediatric Oculoplastic Surgery: Performed on children and newborns who have congenital defects of the eye.
- Ptosis Repair: This surgery involves elevating the upper eyelid to achieve normal vision. The stretched muscle or tendon is reattached or reduced.
- Ectropion & Entropion Repair: In the Ectropian state, the eyelid rolls outside; in the Entropion state, the eyelid rolls inwards. This procedure repairs this condition for a healthy life.
- Skin Cancer Treatment: There are various types of skin cancers of the eyes. Bulges on the eyelid, or bleeding tumours, are frequently observed in such cases. Oculoplastic surgery treats the condition.
While there are many types of Oculoplastic surgeries, the above-listed procedures have the highest demand. With increasing awareness and advancements in technology, the scope of Oculoplastic surgeries will only increase. India is one of the countries globally where there is a high demand for Oculoplastic procedures.
Healthcare providers and professionals have also geared up to take on this challenge.
Sharat Maxivision Hospital Warangal provides world-class services in Oculoplastic surgeries using the most modern equipment. If you’re looking for the best and most trusted Oculoplasty services in Warangal, look no further. Please feel free to walk into our hospital or book an appointment on our website.