Eye care has always been an important aspect of human health. It keeps a person’s window of opportunities open. There are many factors which may hamper the healthy functioning of your eyes. It includes lack of proper nourishment, pollution, injuries and lifestyle.
Among them, air pollution affects the eye as equally as the others. Let’s examine this aspect in detail.
Effects of air pollution
It has been found through research that air pollution resulting from household pollutants and smoking cigarettes contribute to eye diseases like Cataract and AMD (Age-Related Macular Degeneration). Substances like Carbon Monoxide (CO), Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2), Sulphur Dioxide (SO2) and others are some of these pollutants which affect healthy eyes.
Air pollution shows up these symptoms in your eyes:
- Blurred vision
- Itching in your eyes
- Watery eyes
- Dryness of the eyes
- Burning sensation in your eyes
When these symptoms start showing up often, it’s an indicator that you need to take action quickly.
How can you protect your eyes from air pollution?
A little sincere effort from our side can go a long way in ensuring that we have healthy eyes. So, let’s take a look at them.
- Do not rub your eyes as far as possible, or avoid it. Rubbing them transfers the pollutants to your hands.
- Wash your eyes with clean and cool water regularly, especially in today’s polluted environment. Clean and clean water cools down your eyes while cleansing them of pollutant particles.
- Keep your eyes clean with good eye drops at regular intervals. It keeps your eyes clean of dust particles.
- Stay indoors during the peak hours of pollution in your city, if it’s not necessary. If you’re going out, make sure you use good sunglasses or other protective eyewear. They prevent dirt, dust and debris from entering your eyes. Avoid contact lenses which have scratches.
- Keep your vehicle windows closed during the peak hours in your city, especially in traffic jams.
- Eat a healthy diet that gives you Vitamins (A, C, D, E), Mineral Zinc, Omega-3 Fatty acid, and Lutein, Zeaxanthin. This includes fresh fruits and vegetables, cold-water fish, lean meat and dairy products. Drink enough water and healthy drinks, such as fresh juices, herbal teas, etc., that fight free radicals.
- Use a cold mask to prevent inflammation. The cold air in it helps remove toxins and CO2 around your eyes.
- Learn to say NO to smoking. Pollutants from smoking cause diseases like AMD and cataracts. Encourage others to quit smoking too. Passive smoking is in no way different from an air pollutant like active smoking.
We are always there if you need us.
In the above section, we have examined an exhaustive list of preventive measures to keep your eyes healthy. The popular saying “Prevention is better than cure” is cent per cent true even in eye health.
If you face issues of the eye due to a lack of observance of these measures in the past, it’s always advised to get professional help. Sharat Maxivision Eye Hospital Warangal is one of the best eye hospitals in the country that also guides preventive healthcare. Should you need our help, please feel free to contact us.